Classics, passion for the past

1937 Bentley 4¼-Litre Park Ward Sports Saloon B142KT

£ 65000

Body Saloon
Odometer miles
Fuel type Petrol
Transmission Manual
Exterior Color Green
Interior Color Cognac
Upholstery Leather
Steering Rhd
VIN B142KT
A very smart, correct car, in excellent all round condition, benefitting from a great deal of careful maintenance & repair. Recent work has included the fitting of a new cylinder head (100 miles ago), new tyres in 2020, engine overhaul work, renovation of ancillaries, front axle overhaul, attention to brakes, re-cored radiator, complete re-wire in correct, cotton-covered cable, incorporating flashing indicators, and much more besides, including the fitting of overdrive, all documented in folders of paperwork covering nearly thirty years of single ownership. Approximately £45,000 has been spent, much of it some years ago and consequently of more value today due to inflation. Nicely finished in an attractive shade of dark green, with contrasting buff leather interior, matching carpets, excellent headlining and a sliding sunroof. Comes with a set of Ace wheel discs, painted in matching green, and a selection of correct tools. Lovely!

Chassis No. B142KT Reg. No. BRY 594

Snippets: Manhole Covers & Hansa Cars
B142KT was delivered to Murray Wells Ltd official Bentley, Austin & Wolseley retailers at their premises in Rutland Street, Leicester. There are several buildings of note in Rutland Street including Nr 29 (shoe warehouse for Tyler Bros) which has carved figures of Minerva & Mercury by Samuel Barfield, Alexandra House (elastic web factory for Faire Bros) has the figure of Atlantes supporting the cornice brackets with Nr 78 showing a mix of American and Gothic influences. By 1947 B142KT was with Borough Engineering Works of Luton, the firm began trading in the mid 1860s and by WWI they were known for their pavement lights, sanitary iron goods and iron castings as well as being early motor repairers. During WWI the firm produced base plus for grenades, fuze bodies and motor and mine sinker parts, the company employed 37 people (Male 25, Female 12). In 1957 it would seem the car had 2 private owners & 2 dealers! The private owners were C. Gordon of Earls Terrace & Col John G S Barrow of Knightsbridge, the dealers were Paddon Bros and Claude Burgoyne & Co. An interesting detail regarding Claude Burgoyne & Co is that in 1912 he, along with F E Morris, H Biezynski, W. Marsden-Hind, G Campion, M. Brooke and J. Sarna were acquired by the Hansa Car & General Motor Company Ltd, within a year a winding up order for Hansa Car & General Motor Co Ltd had been published in the London Gazette.


SHOW TIME at Burghley House, Stamford - 1st to 3rd July 2022 inclusive.
The Real Car Co will be attending the RREC Annual Rally with a selection of our stock and an indoor display of Rolls-Royce & Bentley cars that we have sold since 1987. Over 3,000 cars have passed through our hands since we started 35 years ago – many of which are shown in our photo display within our marquee. We look forward to seeing you there.
Pin it